How to Update Kodi 17.6 or Kodi 18 on Amazon Fire Stick?
It is important to keep updating Kodi to the latest version whenever it is available. With the most up to date version you get more stability and it also makes sure your overall experience is better with fewer bugs and new features. In this guide, I will show you how to update Kodi on FireStick.
Unfortunately, Kodi on Amazon Firestick doesn’t provide any option to update from within. Therefore, Kodi must be manually updated on FireStick because this app is not available through the Amazon Store. Kodi must be side loaded for both fresh install and for version upgrade. But, don’t worry. Side loading the Kodi update on your Fire TV or FireStick devices is easy. I will introduce you to the step by step procedure.
Kodi has released many major and minor updates over the years. At the time of writing this article, the latest version of Kodi is 17.6 in the Kodi Krypton 17 major version. Kodi 17.6 has been around for several months now. The developers haven’t released any major or minor version since 17.6. However, the development of Kodi 18 Leia is underway. In fact, Leia’s Alpha version is already available on the Kodi website. But, it is purely for testing purposes and may not be stable. I still recommend using Kodi 17.6 until the official, public release of Leia is available. You need to jailbreak Firestick to install Kodi 18 Alpha version.
If you have Kodi Jarvis 16 or any version of Kodi Krypton 17 other than Kodi 17.6, it is best you upgrade it to Kodi 17.6. Most builds and Best Kodi addons and skins have been customized for this latest version. As I already told you, Kodi must be manually updated on FireStick. But, you will not lose any data during the process. Keep reading to learn more.
How to Update Kodi 17.6/18 on FireStick
I am assuming that you already have Kodi on FireStick and you simply wish to update it to a newer version. I will tell you how to update Kodi Krypton on your Fire TV or FireStick devices using two methods that involve the following apps:
1. ES File Explorer
2. Downloader App
Both methods require you to download and install the Kodi APK File onto your device. That’s what these two apps will help you with.
Kodi Krypton 17.6 is the latest version of the Kodi app as I write this guide. This is the version we will update Kodi to. Let us get started.
Update Kodi Using ES File Explorer:
ES File Explorer is one of the most popular file manager/file browser apps for the Android platform. This tool lets you side load the apps on your Android devices quickly and easily. You can download this app on fire stick from the Amazon Store on.
- Power on your FireStick and let it boot
- Navigate and select ‘Search’ (lens icon) on the left corner of the screen
- Enter ES File Explorer and select the app in the search results under the onscreen keyboard
- Follow the onscreen instructions and Install ES File Explorer on Firestick
Important: Before you launch ES File Explorer and update kodi to the latest version, you need to do some firestick settings. Yes, you need to enable Apps From Unknown Sources. If you know how to do it, you can go ahead an do that. If you are new to Amazon Fire Stick and have no idea about this, you can read our tutorial here: Enable Apps From Unknown Sources on Firestick
Now, go to the Your Apps & Channels on FireStick and launch ES File Explorer and Follow the steps below:
1. Navigate to Tools >> Download Manager >> Click +New
2. Enter https://firestickbuzz.com/kodi176.apk in the Path and any name for this path you want in the Name field. I am entering Kodi 17.6 and click Download Now option
3. Allow the download to complete
4. Click ‘Open File’ when the APK file has downloaded
5. A new popup will appear with install option. Hit Install to continue. Follow the on screen instructions and finish installation of Kodi 17.6 or Kodi 18
6. When the update is complete, you would see ‘App Installed’ notification. Click Done and you can return to the FireStick interface. Click ‘Open’ to launch Updated Kodi on FireStick.
This is all you need to do. Let us now learn how to Update Kodi on Amazon FireStick using the Downloader app.
Update Kodi on Fire Tv Using Downloader App:
The idea is the same. Download and Install the APK to Update Kodi on Fire TV. Of course, you will need the Downloader app on FireStick first. To install download app on your Fire Tv (If you have not installed it before)
- Select Search from the FireStick home-screen
- Enter ‘Downloader’ using the onscreen keypad
- Click and open the Downloader option in the search results on the same screen
- Hit the Downloader icon next
- Click ‘Download’ to download and install Downloader
Now, follow the steps below to update Kodi on FireStick with Downloader:
- Open Downloader and select the Home option on the left
- Click the text field on the right where you are supposed to enter the URL. This will bring up the on-screen keyboard
- Enter https://firestickbuzz.com/kodi176.apk and click GO
- Wait for the app to download the Kodi 17.6 APK
- When the download is complete, Downloader will instantly initiate the installation of the Kodi update on FireStick. Click ‘Install’ and confirm your action
- Wait for the installation to finish. Click ‘Done’ when the ‘App installed’ screen notification is displayed
- Go back to Downloader app and click ‘Delete’. This will delete the Kodi APK file that you don’t need any longer
You may launch the Kodi app later from Your Apps & Channels.
You have finally updated Kodi on Amazon FireStick using the Downloader app.
How to Use Updated Kodi on Firestick Safely?
Once you update Kodi on FireStick, you have the most recent and most stable version of the app on your device. Now you can continue watching movies and shows the way you used to. Just get the addons you like and that will be all.
Do you know that certain addons are developed by third-party developers and bring to you your favorite movies and shows in high-quality for free? They even let you licensed content without requiring any subscription fee.
I am not promoting copyright violation in any way. But, I also believe that you have the right to privacy. This right must be protected. When you watch free content on Kodi, your activities may get tracked by the Government or your ISP. This may land you in the legal troubles. I am sure you would not want that.
The good news is that you can protect yourself from such kind of tracking and surveillance. All you need is a good quality VPN service. ExpressVPN is my personal recommendation for various reasons.
ExpressVPN provides strong encryption to your internet traffic and makes sure all your activities remain untraceable. This VPN also offers hundreds of servers in all the popular locations including the US and UK. You can reroute your internet traffic through any anonymous location you want. With ExpressVPN you can be certain that your privacy will remain protected. ExpressVPN also lets you unblock the movies and shows that are geo-restricted.
It is important to keep Kodi updated so that you have the most stable version of the app. The new versions of Kodi provide enhancements and fix bugs and other problems. In this guide you learned how to update Kodi on FireStick using ES File Explorer and Downloader apps. We have updated to Kodi Krypton 17.6, the official version of Kodi at this moment.